Re: Vintage Race Dilemas...

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Vintage Race Dilemas...
From: Mike & Jaye Rosen <mra@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 17:17:20 +0000
This sounds like a problem afflicting every vintage racing group everywhere.
Every club
seems to be losing the really neat old cars for studier, easier to race and
overall more
competitive as well as more contemporary cars.
Here in Canada, VARAC has been racing for more than 20 years and we have over
the
past few years lost our entire pre-war group - and gained a bunch of Minis and
Mustangs. Don't get me wrong, both Cooper 'S' and Shelby are 100% valid
(historic
not vintage) race cars with fabulous histories but... I'd rather see more
esoteric  and
interesting cars on a vintage race grid.
Additionally, the newer (mid '60s) cars seem more prone to 'over development'
i.e.
Jack Roush motors in the Shelby's and Mini Coopers with between 130 & 150 hp.
Every guy in our club who has pushed things that far then wants wider stickier
tires to
handle the HP, then suspension mods to handle the tires - in the end, we have
Minis
that run around Mosport as fast as our Lotus 7s (which are restricted to 948cc)
and
Shelbys that turn the same lap times as Formula Fords - end of story.
Having been on the BOD of VARAC for the past 6 years, I've seen this scenerio
countless times.  When you let newer cars over develop, you tend to lose your
older
members with the more original (read here vintage) cars.
You can't win.