Re: Vintage Race Dilemas...

To: "James A. Isbell" <JISBELLJR@mail.utexas.edu>
Subject: Re: Vintage Race Dilemas...
From: "John A. Rollins" <nobozos@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Oct 1996 00:28:21 -0700
James A. Isbell wrote:

> I have a problem with my car in that it is not vintage.  My car is a 1979
> Lola T540 that was orriginaly a FF was then configured as SuperV and then as
> Atlantic.  It is a car that is no longer competitive but not yet vintage.
>
> I bought it two years ago with the prospect of it becoming vintage in just 5
> years (CVAR was calling 1974 the cut off then)  If one year was added each
> year it would be vintage in 1999.  But they changed the rules so now 1972 is
> the cut off date!  At this rate it will never be vintage!!
>
> The only class I can run in is called a non race class and includes huge V8
> powered Mustangs and Corvettes.  Since it is non race that means I cannot
> maintain my VMC license!
>
> Its not safe for me to be in with the Corvets and Mustangs and other closed
> wheel monsters.  I dont have the protection that they have and they cant see
> me into the bargain.

That's part of the vintage racing philosophy - safety first and no
contact.  Every competitor is supposed to be watching out for every
other competitor while on the track!  The issue of "protection" SHOULD
be a non-issue.

> So where do I race?  Well, Im outa here....Im off to the AutoX where its
> safe until they find a place for me.
>
> So did vintage racing lose another member?  Why?  There are alot of
> inexpensive open wheel race cars such as the FF and FA laying around out
> there.  They are not competative in modern SCCA and they are not defined as
> Vintage, but there should be a class for them.
> --
>                                                             Jim
>
>   "Better an outlaw than not free."
>                          Nance O'Neil

I hear what you're saying, Jim.  However, there have been several groups
which have always held to the 1972 cut-off period - some even earlier.
There are, however, some (HSR) which have classes for any type of
competition car!  You might also inquire as to what the cut-off date is
for SVRA in 1997 as I heard a nasty rumour they were considering a 1988
date so all the "boys" could run their 962s and 935s!  Being a Porsche
person, I would love to see these cars come out in numbers - but not if
it meant I would never be able to watch a 917 at speed again...

Good luck at finding a place to run - let us know when you do!!!

*8o)