Re: a spin on the physics

To: Silikal@aol.com
Subject: Re: a spin on the physics
From: "John A. Rollins" <nobozos@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 1996 10:02:49 -0700
Silikal@aol.com wrote:

> In a message dated 96-09-23 18:56:14 EDT, elan26@hctc.com writes:
> > This past weekend I had my first spin. The front straight at SIR (Seattle)
> >  has concrete on either side and a layer of drag-racing grease (don't they
> >  all?). Well, it was wet and though I was being really really careful,
>
> There was a thread on the wheel-to-wheel list about a track in the
> Mid-West (Heartland?) that was a dual purpose dragstrip / road
> course and had the same problem -- incredibly slick in the rain in
> the "launch" area of the dragstrip.  Someone mentioned that the
> NHRA is using some new chemical for burnouts, and this might
> be causing the condition.
>
> Just spreading a rumor,
> Dave Williamson (silikal@aol.com)

Actually, this has ALWAYS been the condition.  The launch area is
treated with a traction-improving substance which, in the dry, helps add
grip.  However, in the rain... well, it's just like black ice!  Had a
similar condition on the old Hollywood raceway (before it was bulldozed
for condominiums...) when C.A.R.E. ran there in '88.  When it rained,
you tried to avoid the launch areas and go between or around them;
otherwise it was "tippy-toe time" and keep the car straight!

*8oO