re: MGA back axle seals

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: re: MGA back axle seals
From: ross@msbcs.ENET.dec.com
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 96 11:53:04 EDT
I've been away for over two weeks so was able to read all the responses.  I
like the recommendation to ensure that the breather is clear to relieve
heat produced pressure build up.

There was a thread a few months ago about fitting a baffle where the banjo
transitions into the axle tube to stop oil surging down the tube in turns.
There was one article which had detailed instructions adaptable to any
axle.  My '34 MG PA has a baffle installed as standard - made of leather,
so it's not a new idea.

The seal that gets blamed is the last one on the oil path, namely the hub
bearing.  On earlier MG's there is an attempt to stop axle oil getting into
the hub with a "seal" where the axle shaft comes out of the tube.  That is
usually wrecked by shaft movement or vibration whether it is made of cork
or bronze.  I'm just fitting a very small lip seal in the end of the axle
tube 1.0" id, 1.25" od to see if that will help.

Speedi-sleeves on the axle ends do a good job giving a good surface for the
hub seal to run on.  While I had my axle in a big lathe, I cleaned the
surface up, but that's more than an evening's work if that's all you want
to do.

My worry in keeping oil out of the hub is that the bearing would run dry.
I never could understand why pre-war hubs had grease fittings when there
was so much oil in them from the axle!

Peter Ross
MGPA TC MGB