Re: recommended gears for Thunderhill

To: OLD67@aol.com
Subject: Re: recommended gears for Thunderhill
From: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Date: Wed, 05 Jun 1996 16:27:31 PDT
It may depend on what you're driving.  You didn't specify.  Bob Cornish
now runs a "graduate" school of racing up there, and he has lots of open
wheel experience there.  What I can tell you is that the track is mostly
real flat, and there's a long front straight.  There are some off camber
turns, but they're not all that slow.  The slowest turn is 5 (The Crow's
Nest), but the exit is downhill into a slight off camber turn, so I
short shift coming out of it.  I was pretty close to terminal velocity
on the front straight.  You don't have any extreme elevation changes
like Sears or Laguna, so I'd gear it tall for top speed.  My particular
transaxle is so difficult to change ratios in (read: impossible), that
I won't bother.  I don't get a lot of use out of 4th at Sears, but was
well up on the tach in 4th at TH.  Test time is pretty cheap there too.