Re: Vintage racing fiat abarth or alfa Sprint Speciale?

To: RCGuerra@aol.com
Subject: Re: Vintage racing fiat abarth or alfa Sprint Speciale?
From: jeh@world.std.com (jim hayes)
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 1996 19:23:51 -0400
> To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
> Subject: Vintage racing fiat abarth or alfa Sprint Speciale?
> Sender: owner-vintage-race@triumph.cs.utah.edu
>
> To all,
> I am planning on vintage racing in about 2 years. I would like to know th
> ins and outs of vintage racing either a fiat abarth zagato (double bubble
> monza) or an alfa romeo sprint speciale.

Alfas are one of the best cars for vintage racing, as they are closer to
race cars as stock and therefore more reliable when prepared for racing.
Parts for the  cars are readily available and reasonably priced.
The SS is a beautiful car but rarely raced, since it's heavy, compared to
the the standard coupes, and valued as a collectors item due to its rarity.
I'ved raced Giulietta Sprints and Spiders off and on for 30 years and can
help you with sources, preparation, etc.
I'm slightly familiar with Abarths but can't say much intelligent about
them- except that I could change headgaskets fast (I remember changing 4 in
one weekend on a 750 double bubble back in 1965). But they are beautiful and
fast cars if you weigh as much as the average Jockey!
Regards, Jim

Jim Hayes -   Vintage racing '57 & '62 Alfa Spiders
 jeh@fotec.com              http://www.std.com/fotec/jim.htm
All generalizations, with the possible exception of this one, are false.