VSCCA @ Bridgehampton Race Report

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: VSCCA @ Bridgehampton Race Report
From: jeh@world.std.com (jim hayes)
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 1995 23:47:18 -0400
What do you call four Giulietta Spiders, two MGAs and a Devin Porsche
running within 5 car lengths of each other lap after lap, changing positions
all the time. for two consequetive races?
I'd call it the second best racing of the year! St.Jovite was a mite better
weather, since Saturday PM we almost drowned...
And all 7 of us drivers were laughing and congratulating each other after
each race over how much fun we had! THat's what vintage racing is all about.
Every event at the Bridge is rumored to tbe the last, so maybe that's why we
all try so hard to enjoy it. But this event was sparsely attended with only
about 50 cars. Divide them into two classes and use all the track time and
you get to put almost three hours on the car AND sleep late Sunday AM ,
since the track can't open until 1 PM.
The Bridge is a wonderful track with lots of ups and downs, and every corner
is a challenge. The downhill turn 1-2-3 is a real test of your high speed
confidence. 1 -2 are like two Lime Rock downhills, one after another. Turns
8 and 9 are similar; flat out with my 1300 normal car. Turn 6 is steeply
uphill, loose on entry then the uphill catches the slide and you catapult
over the hill. The pit straight is sooo uphill, a low powered car is a
classic case of frustration.
But the course is still going to be around for most of next year, since the
neighbors prefer the weekend race crowd to the constant traffic created by
golfers or the construction of housing.

ANd one final rumor in the pits: Thnomson,CT may revive the road course!

Jim Hayes @ fotec,inc. the fiber optic test equipment company
jeh@fotec.com                                   529 main st.
541-0037@MCImail.com                            boston,ma 02129
ph:800-537-8254 (US,Canada) 617-241-7810 fax: 617-241-8616
Web Home Page: http://www.std.com/fotec