Re: The Great Unwashed

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: The Great Unwashed
From: Tjackson82@aol.com
Date: Sat, 2 Sep 1995 12:22:08 -0400
OK, folks, let me add fuel to the "replica" fire.

I vintage race a 1965 Mustang fastback. It has been outfitted so it is
historically correct to resemble a Shelby GT350. I do not tell people who ask
that it's a Shelby, though it DOES look like one. And what was a Shelby if it
was not a Mustang modified by Shelby, who eagerly offered all the parts that
made a Mustang a Shelby to anyone with cash?
So, am I a charletan for racing this car in vintage?
Obviously, I don't think so. I love my car for what it is -- my car -- and
I'm just happy as hell to be out there running with other people who love old
cars as much as I do.
Do I think that spectators feel cheated because I don't have the correct
serial number that would make my car "authentic?" I don't think so, but if
they do, screw them.
I show up to compete in the vintage spirit and to share the moment with other
racers and spectators who just want to be around vintage.
What I don't do is show up to compare pedigrees. That's what concours events
are for.

Terry Jackson,
tjackson82.com@aol