The Great Unwashed

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: The Great Unwashed
From: pb1@axe.humboldt.edu (Phillip Buttolph)
Date: Fri, 01 Sep 1995 08:20 -0700 (PDT)
I have enjoy the dialogue of this list; it is varied and
informative...until now.

My opinion only, but the inane and elitist bilge about "my toy is better
than your toy" doesn't serve the interest of either enthusiasts or the
"Great Unwashed".  Such ego pumping dribble really turns people off.  While
I understand the lore of holding a slice of history and playing dress-up in
our rare cars, nothing makes a "..rebodied by a fine Italian coachbuilder
in the same period as when the chassis were produced." superior in anyway
to a "Cobra replica built last week by a modern craftsman.".

Owners of wonderful automobiles don't have to be snobs to preserve the
"..vanished breed"?  Hey folks nothing is forever and if you have to ask
"..why should I knock myself out if the guy with the replica can do it
cheaper, go faster,and not break as often?" then your ownership of your
vechicle is not about your enjoyment but rather about the need to be
personally showcased.  The car is the car and you are you; seperate the
two.

Besides how many cars have never had anything replaced or repaired?
Nothing is "The Way it Was".  If you really love the nostalgia and pure
distilled fun of running at speed, please don't turn others away from
discovering our "secret" by posturing like a bunch of Banty Roosters (or
hens)..If your car is priamrily an extension of your ego, have it gilded
and hung next to the trophy heads in the den...if not, then be more
tolerant, loosen-up and enjoy!

Phil:::

Phillip Buttolph                        "pb1@Axe.Humboldt.Edu"
Humboldt State University               (707) 826-4104
62' Sateen Silver                    Fax(707) 826-5446
"That's not Duck Tape or Duct Tape; it is Sateen Silver Racing Tape"