Re: Replicas?

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Replicas?
From: simon@lsil.com (Simon Favre)
Date: Fri, 25 Aug 95 09:54:37 PDT
> From: "WADE WITMER, AIR-4.5.4 CSS, (703)604-3180 X2666"
>  <witmerwe.nimitz@NAVAIR.NAVY.MIL>
> Subject: Replicas?
>
> Does SVRA recognize or have a class for people to use historic
> replicars on track?  I know that HSR does not, but unfortunately not
> everybody can swing a half million dollars for an authentic '66 Shelby
> Cobra.

I know that CSRG and HMSA will not allow replicas. The major vintage
racing organizations consider them an abomination. If you want to race
a replica, try the SCCA. They have so many classes, the replica is
bound to fit somewhere.

Many Vintage clubs will allow older sports cars that have no real
racing history to run, but they do have to be "homologated" to run.
This usually entails assigning a log book to it, having it inspected,
and racing under a provisional approval for a couple of events. This
allows one to get into Vintage racing fairly cheaply. Eligible
Triumphs, Healys, MGs and even Alfas are not all that expensive. A
decent Corvette is not that much even compared to a Cobra replica.

# Simon Favre  email: simon@lsil.com         # Professional car nut:
# LSI Logic Corp. (My opinions, not theirs.) # 2 Alfa Romeos
# Q: "Do you always drive like this?"        # 1 Vintage F. Jr.
# A: "YES!"  -- Dustin Hoffman, The Graduate # 1 F150 hauler