Mont-Tremblant

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Mont-Tremblant
From: "Roger Garnett" <rwg1@cornell.edu>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 1995 09:03:39 -5000
It's been a racers week at the Wayward Sports Car Centre-

With an event coming up this weekend, I unloaded the Bugeye on Saturday, still
slightly muddy from Shannonville, for a clean up, oil, and general once over.
There was a slight squeak upon pressing the clutch the first time, but that
was it- probably something to do with getting drenched the last time out.
After a hose down, I ran it up on the lift for the maintaince- everything
checked out great, and I spent some more time doing more construction in my
trailer- It's now painted a nice, bright white inside, and I have a work
bench!

Monday evening, I decided to rebuild my clutch slave cylinder, as it's been
damp (but not really loosing fluid) lately. Such simple things... Well, when
I unbolted the cylinder, and moved the clutch fork, there was an unusual
"clink". Hmmm... Feeling up into the inspection hole revealed loose parts!
The pressed-in collar holding the contact ring on the pressure plate had come
apart.

Well, Pete was on his way over to pick up his MGB engine, so I started
draining the water... A little over an hour after we started, the engine was
out. So much nicer to discover this at home, in a nice dry shop with engine
hoist, than to have it really come apart at the track! On inspection of the
parts, it looks like it must have just happened, as there was only minor wear
from the ring turning against the diaphram, and the throw-out bearing now had
a chunk out of it.

An early call to Mini Mania the next morning and the parts were on the way-
"racers express" of course, so that they were waiting for me when I got home
Wednesday. Pete showed up with a 6 of Becks, and 2 hours later all was
together and happy again. Did I mention how nice it is to find these problems
at *home*?

So, tomorrow, it's off to St. Jovite - Le Circuit Mont-Tremblant. I haven't
been racing long, but this will be my chance to drive the third "Classic"
Formula 1 & Can Am track. With Mosport, and our home track of Watkins Glen
being the other two, I'll be driving all three this season. They tell me it's
a tad bumpy these days, but still a very interesting drive. And it's up in the
mountain region of Quebec, even more scenic than the Glen.

----

I'll see a couple of you folks there- Look for the light blue Sprite, #91,
and our black trailer. The event is a joint effort between VARAC (Canada) and
VSCCA (USA)- it should be a good combination. As we'll be travelling North,
*away* from hurricane Felix, and there's a strong Canadian high pushing down
through, the weather report looks good. Hopefully, between me, and Jim
Hayes, we'll have a good report next week.

 Roger Garnett  (Roger-Garnett@cornell.edu)  http://www.wayward.team.net/
        "The South Lansing Centre For Wayward Sports Cars"
      "All donations of stray, orphaned, odd, neglected, etc.
       sports cars and bits in need of a good home accepted."
        "The drop off bin is right there- behind the barn..."