New, improved (?) "ring(s) around the piston"

To: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: New, improved (?) "ring(s) around the piston"
From: paisley@boulder.nist.gov (Scott W. Paisley)
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 1995 13:30:25 -0600
Chris Kantarjiev apparently wrote:

 > > TotalSeal is a company that makes gapless piston rings. As I understand
 > > it, they will take a set from you and "convert" them - rather than
 > > having a gap, they are half thickness or so at the ends, and overlap.
 > > The theory is that you get something like 2% blowby, and it stays
 > > there for the life of the rings.

This seems like a good idea!  I assume that 2% blowby is with normal
rings...  What kind a performance (any blowby at all?)  do you get
with the gapless piston rings?  Furthermore, is it recommended to use
two or one piston ring?  What are the tradeoffs?  Are the gapless
rings less dependable?  Do any production cars use this idea?

-Scotty "more questions than answers" Paisley
 '70 TR6
 '75 TR6