New, improved (?) "ring(s) around the piston"

To: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: New, improved (?) "ring(s) around the piston"
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 4 Aug 1995 13:47:14 -0900 (PDT)
Chris Kantarjiev <cak@godzilla.studio.sgi.com> was kind enough to pass
onto me the following tip regarding rings for the Hardly Boys Racing
Spitfire 4, the one of "missing second piston ring" fame:

> TotalSeal is a company that makes gapless piston rings. As I understand
> it, they will take a set from you and "convert" them - rather than
> having a gap, they are half thickness or so at the ends, and overlap.
> The theory is that you get something like 2% blowby, and it stays
> there for the life of the rings.

I called them (Phoenix, AZ; 602-678-4977). They do indeed convert the
"second" ring of a piston ring set to a two-piece ring. [Of course, now
it makes sense -- someone was going to do this on my motor, but then
forgot, went ahead and reassembled the engine! ;-)]

Prices are as follows, for a 4-cylinder Triumph engine:

THEY provide a complete set of rings (Hastings or whomever) and convert the
second rings: $88.28

THEY provide you with JUST the set of converted second rings: $57.36

YOU provide them with a set of second rings (from the new set you
already bought) to be converted: $6 setup + $6 per ring.

All above prices do NOT include shipping.

Has anyone ever dealt with Total Seal (or a similar conversion) and wish to
share comments?

  * NYS Library                         phone: (518) 474-8541 (voice) *
  * 10D36 CEC, Albany, NY 12230                  (518) 486-2152 (fax) *
  *  "I was wonderin' why we live so much longer'n our imaginations!" *
  *     -- Broom Hilda                                                *