tvr

RE: How to install glass

To: "'tvr@autox.team.net'" <tvr@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: How to install glass
From: "Hill, Stephen M EDUC:EX" <Stephen.Hill@gems7.gov.bc.ca>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 14:59:31 -0800
I watched a pro do the rear window in my TVR and he was fast, accurate, and
relatively inexpensive.  A friend took his TVR to a pro and he ended up with
scratches in his new paint. I watched a pro do my front window and he ended
up cutting the rubber too short, tried to fill the gap with black silicone,
and tried to glue the rubber flange so it sat flat in the corners (never did
sit flat).

I guess you could take this two ways. the pros fuck up, so do it yourself.
Or, if pros fuck up then what chance do you have? IMHO, I would take it to a
good glass shop.

A few suggestions IF you decide to do it yourself:
*       heat up the rubber in a bucket of water:  it is much more easily
worked onto the body. The problem here is the fiberglass is very uneven in
thickness. You may need sealant.
*       don't pull the rubber tightly around the glass, cause it will shrink
back leaving a gap.
*       when you cut the rubber for the joint leave some excess to
accomodate the inevitable shrink back.
*       never take it out in the rain :)

Stephen

///
///  tvr@autox.team.net mailing list
///