[TR] How to Re-align splines in OD to mate with transmission shaft?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] How to Re-align splines in OD to mate with transmission shaft?
From: aribert neumann <aribertn@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 30 Mar 2023 23:09:29 -0400

--000000000000581c7f05f8298ad5

What is the trick to get the two sets of OD splines completely aligned?
 My Bentley manual (GT6) says to use a long screwdriver - fat chance.   I
even milled a piece of steel flat stock to mimic two opposing splines of
the trans mainshaft with a taper/lead-in on the tip.   I have gently tapped
the flat stock but the second set of splines is still offset  by about 1/16
of an inch and does not want to rotate into alignment.   I did not do any
service of the OD other than to rinse and flush out the inside of the OD -
not sure how the splines became misaligned.

I've seen one video where someone loosens the bolts that hold the two
aluminum casting housings sandwiched to the steel component to take the
spring load off of the asm and make it easier to rotate the splines into
alignment.   My OD has been nice and dry and I really do not want to create
a potential oil leak path by partially separating these three components if
I do not need to.
TIA - off in digest mode.

--000000000000581c7f05f8298ad5

tely aligned?=C2=A0 =C2=A0My Bentley manual (GT6) says to use a long screwd=
river - fat chance.=C2=A0 =C2=A0I even milled a piece of steel flat stock t=
o mimic two opposing splines of the trans mainshaft with a taper/lead-in on=
 the tip.=C2=A0 =C2=A0I have gently tapped the flat stock but the second se=
t of splines is still offset=C2=A0 by about 1/16 of an inch and does not wa=
nt to rotate into alignment.=C2=A0 =C2=A0I did not do any service of the OD=
 other than to rinse and flush out the inside of the OD - not sure how the =
 someone=C2=A0loosens the bolts that hold the two aluminum casting housings=
 sandwiched to the steel component to take the spring load off of the asm a=
nd make it easier to rotate the splines into alignment.=C2=A0 =C2=A0My OD h=
as been nice and dry and I really do not want to create a potential oil lea=
k path by partially separating=C2=A0these three components if I do not need=

--000000000000581c7f05f8298ad5--

--===============5619715431466576680==

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

--===============5619715431466576680==--