[TR] Timing case oil leak

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Timing case oil leak
From: Stuart Greenwood <sagreenwood@att.net>
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2021 01:27:48 +0000 (UTC)
In July 2017 I saw that the front crankshaft oil seal was leaking on my TR250
but the timing case itself seemed to be leak free. In January 2018 I replaced
this seal which of course meant removing the timing case cover and using a new
gasket. I serviced the car last weekend and could see that the oil seal was not
leaking but there seems to be oil leaking through the timing case gasket.
I have the same situation on my Spitfire Mk IV. I completely rebuilt the engine
in April 2004. Now, after about 15,000 miles since the rebuild  there are signs
that the crankshaft oil seal is leaking again  and the timing cover gasket is
leaking oil.
I am starting to think that the gaskets you can buy are not oil leak proof. I
think that over time oil seeps through the gasket material, NOT between the
gasket and the engine block or between the gasket and the timing case cover but
through the gasket material itself.
I am going to replace the oil seal on the Spitfire but the question I have for
the list is should I use a gasket or use "form a gasket"  RTV type stuff? Have
any of you used a gasket that is guaranteed not permeable to oil and if so
where did you buy it from?

Has anyone else suspected that some gasket you can by from reputable dealers
like TRF, Moss or Rimmers are in reality permeable to oil?

Stuart A Greenwood
San Diego Ca
** triumphs@autox.team.net **