Re: [TR] TR3 timing

To: "'anabil007'" <anabil007@comcast.net>, "'TR3/6'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR3 timing
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 3 May 2016 14:31:28 -0700
> What is the consensus for STROBE LIGHT timing for small mouth
> TR3?  87mm pistons, headers, cam.
>
> I really need to know . and I feel stupid that I don't
> already know the answer.

I think the consensus is "don't do it".  The stock distributor has a
centrifugal advance mechanism that starts way down low (below
idle rpm for most of us) and isn't very precise; so the preferred method is to
use static timing to get it running, then take a
drive to make final adjustments.

But if you have to use a light, set it to about 8 BTDC, which is about 3/8"
away from the hole in the front pulley (assuming it is
at TDC as it should be).

Randall

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive