[TR] De-Rusting TR3 Block

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] De-Rusting TR3 Block
From: William Brewer <wsb1960tr3a@att.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 08:19:18 -0700 (PDT)
     I am getting ready to pull the engine on my TR3 to rebuild it after
snapping the crank. The first time I pulled the head (about 17 years ago...)
the #4 cylinder was completely blocked off by rust. Last time I rebuilt the
engine (about 11 years and 80,000  miles ago) it was pretty rusty inside the
water jacket area of the block and I de-rusted it pretty well and have used
No-Rosion since. I was thinking of rigging up an electrolytic rust removal
system using a battery charger, blocking off the bottom of the cylinder/piston
area to contain the water just in the block and totally de-rust the water
jacket area of the block. After that I thought about painting it with POR15
before putting new liners back in. It seems like the worst that could happen
would be that the POR15 might eventually flake off and get stuck in the
radiator. has anyone tried this?

     Has anyone ever tried painting the
non-mating surfaces of the wet-liners with hi-temp engine enamel or POR15 or
something to prevent them from rusting? The first set of wet-liners that I
pulled were terribly corroded from the DPO filling the cooling system with a
garden hose.
     TIA,

     -Bill in Tehachapi

** triumphs@autox.team.net **