Re: [TR] engine stands

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, Andrew Uprichard <auprichard@uprichard.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] engine stands
From: Randall <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 19:23:05 +0000
---- Andrew Uprichard <auprichard@uprichard.net> wrote:
> I am thinking of getting an engine stand.  I see Harbor Freight has a couple
> of 1000lb stands.  Questions:  is 1000 Ok for a TR3 engine and (overdrive)
> gearbox combination and does anyone have experience with the Harbor Freight
> ones?

What HF calls an "engine stand" is not intended for hanging an engine plus
gearbox on.  The engine mounts to it via the rear flange.

I have the discontinued 750 lb engine stand from HF, it works well enough for
me.
http://goo.gl/kEQVs
The main difference is that it only has 3 wheels and is correspondingly less
stable (which can be a concern if you are trying to move it over a rough floor
with an engine on).  It's had a TR4 engine block hanging on it for probably 20
years now and is still holding fine.

IIRC I had to source some suitable bolts, though.  The ones that came with it
were not long enough.

Randall

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Archive: http://www.team.net/archive