Re: [TR] Battery trickle charger

To: "'Bud R'" <levilevi@comcast.net>, "'Randall'" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Subject: Re: [TR] Battery trickle charger
From: "Alex&Janet Thomson" <aljlthomson@charter.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2013 06:02:27 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
When using two sixes in series, it's extremely important to have identically
sized batteries so they charge evenly from the regular vehicle charging
system. When using a plug in charger, you can use the 6V setting and do each
one individually or set it to 12V and charge them as a single unit ( which
is what your alternator is doing anyways). Since every battery is made of
groups of 2V cells, you are really charging 6 cells in series on a single
battery, 12V system. When charging the batteries individually, you should
monitor battery voltage or specific gravity (if you can open the cells) so
as to balance the degree of charge in each battery.

I have had better luck with using a pair of 12V batteries in parallel for
added amperage capability on tractors. In fact, I converted two of my
row-crop Deeres to this type of a setup from the original factory
two-sixes-in-series system. They seem to last longer and big 6V batteries
get pretty expensive. A group 4 6V is about $160 from a Deere dealer while
group 31 12V (950 CCA) is about 100 bucks from a truck shop. But, that's
getting away from your question.

Charging your batteries individually at 6V and using a voltmeter for the
first time will probably show you if the batteries are balanced. If they
are, after that you could use the 12V setting and charge them as a single
unit. I assume the vehicle is  negative ground. In that case, black,
negative charger cable to the chassis and red, positive cable to the starter
insulated circuit.

The zero degree weather in Connecticut last week was a good test of starter
systems. But not as severe as places like upper New York state or places
like that!

Alex Thomson