Re: [TR] Alternator

To: <diggle@clear.net.nz>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Alternator
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 29 Jan 2012 09:33:25 -0800
> Does anyone know if a Lucas alternator (with an output of
> about 30amps)will have enough output for my setup.

Depends on which radiator fan you have.  Mine only draws about 8 amps, so a
30 amp alternator would be plenty.  Actually, the stock generator is plenty,
as long as I don't have to run the headlights at the same time.  With
headlights and fan both on (and the engine at cruising rpm), the generator
will just about keep up, but has no excess capacity to recharge the battery
from when the engine is idling.  However, since I never drive more than 2
hours in stop and go traffic after dark; the battery covers the difference
and recharges the next day.

> The advantage of the lower output of the Lucas is that I
> don't have to upgrade my wiring.

FWIW, I ran a 60 amp alternator for many years in my TR3A, with no changes
to the original harness.  I used a heavier wire for the alternator output
(which IMO is a good idea even with your 30 amp unit) and brought it to a
new tie point; where I tied in all the new, high power accessories (radiator
fan, stereo, MSD, 100 watt headlights).  I also ran a heavy wire from the
new tie point over to the original control box location, where it joined
with the NW and NU wires from the original control box.

The only problem I ever had with that setup was that I originally used the
old control box to join the NW and NU wires.  After about 10 years (and
close to 100,000 miles), the joint inside the original control box got hot
and no longer made good contact.  So I joined the wires away from the box
and had no further problem (with the charging circuit anyway) for another 10
years (and close to 100,000 miles).

BTW, I also added a shunt across the original ammeter, so it wouldn't hit
the peg when the engine started.

> New alternators are quite costly in New Zealand.

Mine came from the junkyard.  $20 as I recall, including its regulator and
wiring to the regulator.  Seems like it might have been a 68 Mercury
Marquis, but I'm not certain.  These days I'd probably look for one from a
Toyota (assuming Toyotas are as common in NZ as they are here).  The point
being that if you get one from a very common car, then replacement parts
(and a rebuilt unit when the first one wears out) will be readily available
and probably cheap.  I just checked with RockAuto; they have a rebuilt copy
of that alternator on sale for $18.25 outright!  (Regular price looks to be
around $50-$55 including the core charge.)

I have Lucas alternators on the Stags.  They would definitely NOT be my
first choice if they weren't original equipment.  Lucas seems to have had
this crazy idea that a 3/8" quick connect was adequate to carry 43 amps in
the presence of engine heat and vibration.  They were wrong.  The Lucas
alternators also produce almost nothing at idle, while the Ford would
produce at least 25 amps or so.

-- Randall

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html