Re: [TR] Volvo J types

To: fogbro1@comcast.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Volvo J types
From: KingsCreekTrees@aol.com
Date: Sat, 28 Jan 2012 21:13:47 -0500 (EST)
Hi Ed; further to your observations:

I'm a Volvo enthusiast, along with my TR3A, and own a 1965 PV544 Sport.

I considered modifying the Volvo to include an overdrive, which was never
an option on PV models, despite them having the same gearbox as
non-overdrive  120's, P1800's, 1800S's, 1800E's and early 140's.

When I looked into it, unlike modifying a non-overdrive TR, I discovered
the only way to practically do it is to start with an overdrive AND a gearbox
 that was originally for an overdrive car.

This may not be a significant point for TR owners, but it may avoid a
costly mistake. Certainly, I could not practically modify my "M40" gearbox to
accept an overdrive, despite the gears being the same. The shafts and casing
are  different, so that the casing includes the overdrive. I have an "M41"
gearbox  sitting here now, which is the 4 speed with overdrive as fitted to
the  aforementioned Volvos. I didn't fit it to my Volvo because it requires a
lot of  modification to the tunnel. My car is too nice to do that to. The
overdrive is  not separable from the gearbox without dismantling the gearbox.
I am  told this is not the case for every overdrive- equipped Volvo built
in  this age range, but it is applicable to many, if not most of them. So, if
a TR  owner wants to fit an overdrive from a Volvo, bear in mind you might
need a TR  casing for the overdrive innards to fit into.

Tim

** triumphs@autox.team.net **

Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive