[TR] rear oil seal TR3

Subject: [TR] rear oil seal TR3
From: fogbro1 at comcast.net (fogbro1 at comcast.net)
Date: Wed, 23 Feb 2011 17:34:51 +0000 (UTC)

Bill,

I just installed the oil seal provided by Joe Alexander on a TR3. I had Joe
machine the original aluminum "seal" to accommodate the new one. Also bought
the alignment mandrel from Joe. Installation was straightforward (engine is
out, on a stand). I also had two auxiliary drain holes drilled in the main cap.

Big advantage of this seal is that no machining of the crank is required. The
seal rides on the crank between the scroll and the rear flange.

We shall see how it works out, but this I know: since it's an addition to the
original seal, it cannot be worse than the original arrangement and a crank has
not been sacrificed.

Ed Woods