Re: [TR] Operating temp

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Operating temp
From: amcewen2@cogeco.ca
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 15:09:04 -0500

> To recap I have installed a recored radiator and thermatically operated
> electric fan.

I have a hadyen pusher fan that I installed after I had my rad recored as well
(I think I specified too dence a core for
the 4 blade fan to cope with).  I've mounted it up high on the rad (with those
little plastic clips).  Not only does it
minimise it's visibility that way I think it improves the airflow even when
it's not "on" as the normal air flow that
hits the bottom half of the fan causes the fan to spin and I think that draws
air thru the upper part of the rad which
normally doesn't get air.

> I have always assumed that normal operating temp for the water is 185
> degrees F or halfway along the gauge.

I think you're correct, on a normal day with a new 180f thermostat that's where
the gauge sites.

> Does anyone know what temp that mark corresponds to and what temp should the
> fan be set to come on at.

I initially had a manual switch under the dash, but later I bought a therm
switch and what I did to calibrate it was let
the car idle with the fan off and let the temp get to what I considered to be
above normal but not yet "hot" (say 2/3rds
to the right) then turned then adjusted the switch until the fan shut it self
off when the gauge settled back down to
the centre.  Then I stood back and made sure that cycle repeated itself on it's
own and that the fan was off most of the
time and only came on when needed.   I'm not really sure what temperature that
equates to but it seems to do the trick
as the fan draws the temp down very quickly and is only on when the car's in
traffic.
Triumphs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $11.47