Re: [TR] Operating temp

To: "'Jim Vassiliadis'" <diggle@clear.net.nz>,
Subject: Re: [TR] Operating temp
From: "Randall" <TR3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 05:23:00 -0800
> I have always assumed that normal operating temp for the water is 185
> degrees F or halfway along the gauge.

Depends on a lot of things, including what thermostat you've installed.
Where does yours ride when driving at speed in moderate weather?

> Does anyone know what temp that mark corresponds to and what
> temp should the
> fan be set to come on at.

On my early TR4 gauge (mounted in a TR3), the mark is just about 220F.  My
preference would be for the fan to come on slightly before that point, say
210F.  That way it will still come on before the coolant boils, even if the
system won't hold pressure for some reason.

-- Randall

Triumphs@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Suggested annual donation  $11.47