[TR] TR6 Brake Rotor Groove

To: Triumph Mail List <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR6 Brake Rotor Groove
From: suhringtr36@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2011 02:11:54 +0000 (UTC)
I've been meaning to ask this question since last fall, but thought it was a
good time to get around to it now that the thaw is starting here in PA.  I
developed a grove in the right front brake rotor of my '70 TR6 two summers ago.
I noticed it on the way up to Watkins Glen but nothing detering continued
driving. This was on the inside face of the rotor. At Carlisle, I picked up 2
new rotors and proceeded to replace both rotors and brake pads. Well, when I
put the 6 down for its winter rest this year, I noticed the same grove, but not
as large, on the same spot of the right rotor! I have heard that you can get a
bad/defective brake pad that develops a bump that will wear such a grove in a
rotor, but to have it happen twice?

Any other thoughts on what could be causing this or do I just play the odds,
get a new rotor and replace the brake pad (I am not doing both sides this
time)?  TIA

Scott Suhring
Mechanicsburg, PA
'70 TR6