[TR] TR3A New Alloy Valve Cover

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] TR3A New Alloy Valve Cover
From: terryrs@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 21:33:12 +0000 (UTC)
As posted previously, am leaking oil.  For the first time, I pulled the valve
cover I purchased off E-Bay several years ago, cleaned it, and put it over a
flashlight on a flat surface.  Hmmm...imagine my surprise.

What I saw was lots of light under the two ends.  Am guessing that it came with
a history of DPOs cranking down on the two nuts that hold it on, which combined
with heat from the engine caused it to warp upwards on each end.  Means while
I've been torquing to specs, I have really only been tightening the center
section and leaving an oil weeping gap at front and back even with Justin's
silicone gasket.  Given the oil wetness behind it, I have to think that.

Okay.  Tried to pound the warping out.  Frankly I'm not good enough to be able
to do it.  So I took it to my really pretty good machine shop.  They told me
they couldn't set it up.  They sent me to a 70 year old machinist in town
reputed to be the best in the state.  Except he works about two hours a day and
was never in when I stopped by.e

Okay okay.  I bit the bullet, called TRF, and got an alloy valve cover.  It
came today.  Expensive, but looks alone are worth every penny and will add
immeasurably to the look of the engine bay, albeit I don't care since I
typically drive it with the hood down.

But this new alloy cover also came without a tube to put on the stock breather
cap.

Now I'm sure that the beautiful oil cap that came with it "breathes," but does
anyone have an opinion (wait...of course you do...this is the LIST!) about
whether it breathes enough to equalize pressure from the rocker arm area?  My
old breather cap left the cover pretty cruddy from blow-by over a period of
time...

Thank you everyone.

Terry Smith, '590 TR3A
New Hampshire