Re: [TR] zenith or su's ?

To: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>, "Triumph List" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] zenith or su's ?
From: "Wayne Lee" <wayne@motorcarriage.com>
Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 19:44:52 -0500
Randall,
   As for your interpretation of optimal Fuel Mixture:

  Mine was in "     " marks meaning I copied and pasted it from a page or
someone elses quote.
Here's the Webpage I copied and pasted from:
http://www.hondata.com/techlambda.html

  I'm sure you gathered your information from another source. Usually TR3
Owners don't have to crunch such numbers.
I hope your time was well spent, You may very well be right or have stumbled
across better information.

I understand your confusion over the A/F accuracy as the wide band example
didn't go through. That and having read several of your
Here's the Wide Band Unit Link done cheap for most.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/xcart/product.php?productid=16277&cat=262&page=1As
 for the Throttle positioning sensor being used in an alternativeapplication,
Don't let anyone catch You using Pliers on a Thumbscrew.But: This News Just
In!Wikipedia Throttle Definition:A throttle is the mechanism by which the flow
of a fluid is managed byconstriction or obstruction. An engine's power can be
increased or decreasedby the restriction of inlet gases (i.e., by the use of a
throttle), butusually decreased. The term throttle has come to refer,
informally andincorrectly, to any mechanism by which the power or speed of an
engine isregulated.So since the most restriction in Airflow by constriction or
obstruction isthe Piston in an SU under Full Throttle,So It is technically the
Throttle. Ididn't say Butterfly or Disc position Sensor.As for You and 100+
mph. Sorry I don't know You well but can only havevisuals that would advise You
to double up on whatever size Depends Youmight use:^
 )Like You say, Your Goals may be more" Lofty" But Your Mileage may Vary,
Ibet.Cheers,Wayne64 TR475 TR6Hawke DL12 Formula FordLola T598 Sportsracer (goes
+100)--------------------------------------------------From: "Randall"
<tr3driver@ca.rr.com>Sent: Wednesday, December 02, 2009 6:08 PMTo: "'Triumph
List'" <Triumphs@autox.team.net>Subject: Re: [TR] zenith or su's ?>>      I
meant a Throttle Position Sensor or Rheostat onto the>> Piston Lift detector
device I sent the link to.>> Ah, I see.  My apologies for the misunderstanding.
 To my warped way of> thinking, it's not a throttle position sensor unless it
actually senses> throttle position, otherwise it's just an optical encoder for
whateverit's> connected to.>> And I probably still don't understand your
comments about A/F meter> accuracy.  Best power is somewhere around .85 while
best fuel economy is> somewhere around 1.1-1.2.  Since my definition of "best
performance"> includes both of those points, I see no utility in a ga
 uge that won't read> either one accurately.  But it's certainly true that a
proper wide-band> sensor costs less than a new carb.>> BTW, stoichiometric
(Lambda = 1.0) is no longer necessarily 14.7:1.Pretty> much all of the US is
now running 'oxygenated' fuel, which requires more> fuel to reach stoich.  E10
for example takes around 14.0:1.  And while we> are exploring this road, it
might be entertaining to design a setup that> would burn E85 successfully,
which reaches stoich somewhere around 9.7:1.>>> All that matters is that it's
somewhat static across the Rev>> Range>> My goals are more lofty; I want best
power at any rpm when I step on the> loud pedal, combined with minimum fuel
consumption (best economy) while> cruising.  And for me, 'cruising' includes
anything from drifting along at> 2300 rpm (~ 55 mph) to holding a constant 4200
or so (~100 mph).>> -- Randall

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net