Re: [TR] Triumphest/VTR info

To: ZoboHerald@aol.com, Dave1massey@cs.com, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: [TR] Triumphest/VTR info
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 2009 13:57:48 EST
In a message dated 3/3/2009 10:35:41 A.M. Eastern Standard Time,
zoboherald@aol.com writes:

So if you got yourself chrome air cleaners from Wilco or (gasp) MG  Mitten
(hey, despite the name, they used to
have a Triumph 10 wagon  featured in their ads), or an alloy valve cover from
Vilem B. Haan  (spelling?),
or grille guards from American Carry-All Products (AMCO) or  even fuzzy dice
from J.C. Whitney
?back when your car was six months old,  then it's ok (so long as the
accessory can be documented as
"period"). I  honestly don't know how far back the Lecarra steering wheels
go.  ;-)

Hey Andy,
Technically you are correct. I have never seen the chrome air  cleaners, the
only period alloy valve cover is the factory optional TR3 one  that is way
cool and allowed but if there were more and it can be  documented as period
then
I would be OK with it.  I have an Amco grille  guard on my Showroom Stock TR3B
along with those really hard to find little  Amco rear bumper add on's that
wrap around the rear wings, remember those?

How do you document?  A period ad would do and sometimes the  judges are
instructed to take the owners word for it. That being said we  would exclude
any
parts obviously new reproduction stock and made in Taiwan.

BTW, with another club I was once told that if I presented my TR4 with  those
American Racing Silverstone Mags on it in Concours one more time it  would be
judged like it had no wheels on it at all.  No Kidding another  participant
was whining about it big time!  What did I do?  I  documented those wheels as
period equipment and got the club to change their  rules.  That process is
certainly available to any VTR member.

I've seen this in recent years "reinterpreted" to mean that there would  be a
deduction for stainless steel
exhaust systems

Just for clarity you are partly correct, however starting with  the NATC in
Texas we are now allowing stainless steel exhaust systems.  I  changed this in
part due to popular demand but primarily since some models no  longer have
mild steel systems available anywhere. Sort of like the tire size  rules.  BTW
this rule was not reinterpreted during my watch.   It was that way since I
started judging in the 1990 NATC in Boulder, CO.  so I would dispute the
"recent
years claim." I even suffered this  deduction on my TR6 in Cincinnati, I forget
the year but it was way  back.  What did I do?  I changed back to mild steel.
I guess  that doesn't get me anything now, Huh?

Also the following rule plays a roll too in this discussion.  As  before it
spells out the appropriate deduction as being one half of the full  allowable
deduction of a missing part. So if an air cleaner is worth 3  pts. a judge
should deduct 1.5 pts. for authenticity if it has  been chrome plated.

Regards,
Darrell

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net