Re: [TR] How do they manufacture gears?

To: fishplate@charter.net
Subject: Re: [TR] How do they manufacture gears?
From: pethier@comcast.net
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 16:08:54 +0000 (UTC)
----- fishplate@charter.net wrote:

> An example of cutting a small gear is at
>

><http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/gearcutting/gearcutting.html>
>
> aka  http://tinyurl.com/gear-cutting
>
> with some pictures.  This is for a camera gear, but just imagine it a
> bit larger.

The process shown here is approximate, if I am seeing these pictures correctly,
but the error is small and is taken care of in the hand-filing he did after.
The correct process is for the cutting head to advance across the blank, not be
plunged towards the center.

> Cutting a helical gear just requires holding the blank at
> the proper angle.

That would only give an approximation of a helical gear.

The actual process is a bit more complicated.  A large machine which I believe
is called a "hobb" is used.  It has a rotary cutting head with cutters shaped
like the "grooves" in the gear.  As the cutter head proceeds at angle across
the gear blank, the gear blank rotates slightly.  The cutter advances slightly
with each cut. The process is called "hobbing a gear".

Phil Ethier

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net