Re: [TR] How do they manufacture gears?

To: Triumphs@autox.team.net, jimmuller@rcn.com
Subject: Re: [TR] How do they manufacture gears?
From: <fishplate@charter.net>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 4:44:13 -0800
---- Jim Muller <jimmuller@rcn.com> wrote:
> Speaking of gears, perhaps one of you with a mech. eng. or
> manufacturing eng. background can explain how they make them?

It's not complicated, but it does require special cutters and some precision
tools.

An example of cutting a small gear is at

<http://www.deansphotographica.com/machining/projects/gearcutting/gearcutting.html>

aka  http://tinyurl.com/gear-cutting

with some pictures.  This is for a camera gear, but just imagine it a bit
larger.  Cutting a helical gear just requires holding the blank at the proper
angle.  And of course, our gears are hardened.

While you're at the drugstore, pick me up a nice Bridgeport lathe, will you?
Thanks...

Jeff Scarbrough
Metal Shavings, Ga.

http://www.vtr.org