Re: [TR] Strange engine miss

To: "'Triumph List'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: [TR] Strange engine miss
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2008 10:20:56 -0700
> While still trying to get my TR2 engine to run smoothly, I noticed
> this- it seems the engine is running on 3 cylinders due to
> the rough idle, I discovered if I pull the plug cap off No2
> plug while running there is no change in the rough idle,
> however when I bring the cap near the plug but not actually
> pushed into place the engine picks up and runs smoothly, and
> when I push the cap fully home the rough idle returns. Any ideas?

That's a classic symptom of a plug that is fouled or glazed.  I'd start by
replacing the plug.  If the problem happens again, you may need to work on
why/how it got that way.  Glazing sometimes results when the plug gets
fouled under some conditions, then starts running and the fouling burns off.

'Glazing' is a (mildly) conductive coating on the insulator that can bleed
off the spark energy before the voltage rises high enough to jump the gap.
By introducing another gap (having the cap not quite touching the plug
terminal), the voltage rises high enough to jump both gaps before the
glazing (or fouling) can bleed it off.

Randall

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net