[TR] Keeping cool in a TR3

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Keeping cool in a TR3
From: Adrian Jones <adrianjones747@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2008 20:24:27 -0400 (EDT)
Hi folks,

As I understand it, Triumph meant for the coolant tap on the engine block to be
turned off in summer.
I'm afraid of turning it off because the back cylinder may develop hot spots.
That, and in emergencies it is nice to employ the heater core for extra engine
cooloing.  Plus, if the heater core is isloated for any length of time I'm
worried it might act up.

Therefore, a major source of cabin/cockpit heat for me is the heater core, even
without the heater fan on.

I'm thinking of teeing off the tap - one line, with a on/off valve, would route
back to the cooling inlet at the front of the engine and the other line, also
with on/off valve, would go to the heater core.
That way, I could decide in the morning whether to have the heater core active
or not.
Hope that makes sense.

Anyhoos, it looks to my non-plumber mind that there is 3 different plumbing
Galvanized iron pipe
Brass pipe
Compression-fitting brass pipe.

None of these options has both a valve and a T-junction.  The guy at Home
Despot says I need to learn how to "sweat" joints but I don't think I'm up for
that.

Any thoughts on this?

Cheers, Adrian (Hot 'n Bothered in NC)

http://www.vtr.org