Re: [TR] GT6 engine still seized - Bob Kinderlehrer gets the prize

To: Jerrold Le Tourneau <jerrold.letourneau@verizon.net>, Andrew Mace
Subject: Re: [TR] GT6 engine still seized - Bob Kinderlehrer gets the prize
From: terryrs@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 00:54:01 +0000
From: Jerrold Le Tourneau <jerrold.letourneau@verizon.net>

> Andrew-
>
> No the spacer is there. I turn the ignition key and hear a whirling
> sound but no engine engagement.

Have been following this post with interest, but am confused.  The original
problem is that the engine would not turn over.  Attempts to free it included
turning it by hand with the tranny in neutral, and putting the gear in 1st or
2nd, --Randall suggested 4th--and rocking the car back and forth.  Engine still
frozen.

The problem has been identified as the starter, since pulling it freed the
engine.  Now as I understand it, the starter has been checked and is in working
order, and has been reinstalled and is turning but not engaging.

I suppose it could be the solenoid, as suggested.  But could it also have
something to do with the ring gear being too chewed up to accept the starter
gear, which would also explain the frozen condition in the original post?

Terry Smith, '59 TR3A
New Hampshire

http://www.vtr.org

Triumphs@autox.team.net