[TR] SU substance?

To: "list Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] SU substance?
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 21:16:49 -0400
There have been other mysterous 'adaptations' which I've performed on my
non-running, abandoned-project now 75% done TR3.  Someday I might even become
a 'DPO'.  I say all this to give some reasoning to why I am jumping from
electricks to karberation.  I am still bewildered as to why a brown wire with
a 3/8" lucar connector is going to the fuse block with 1/4" male connectors?
But, Now I am changing the subject.
        I have run the engine in my non-running car about 2 hours since the
professional-block-only rebuild(about 8 months ago).  I couldn't keep myself
from pulling the twin SU's (unbolting) from the intake manifold.  I was not
surprised to see lint/dust lying in the intake.  However, there also was a
white chalky 1"x2" patch smeared inside the intake where it meets the carb.
On the carb. side of the same gasket area was a smaller amount of a yellow
substance.  Now when the engine was run, it was too rich which accounts for
the black carbon. But this light colored stuff was only on 1 of the two carbs.
What is it?

Thanks, Paul Dorsey
60 TR3

===     http://www.vtr.org