[TR] Re: Recalls & Smart Laws

To: "FRED E THOMAS" <frede.thomas2@verizon.net>, "triumphs"
Subject: [TR] Re: Recalls & Smart Laws
From: pethier@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 15:05:31 +0000
From: "FRED E THOMAS" <frede.thomas2@verizon.net>
> Listers, on all the news programs this a/m, there will be a recall on several
> brands of tires made in Japan, including Yokohomo's,

I hear it is only one factory in China.

> New Virginia law effective on Monday July 2, 2007,
> failure to give hand signal or turn signal regular cost of court plus fine,
> then DMV will charge a "FEE" from $1050.00 for 1st offense

Not exactly "first offense".

Read
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/06/26/AR2007062601970_2.html
and you will see you need 8 points on your record to be hit with these fees.

Interesting part is that if you are from Maryland (or Minnesota) they can't
charge the fees.  Flip-flop on the usual "soak-the-out-of-staters' philosophy.

Some European systems are interesting.  In some countries you pay fines
proportional to your income.  Some guy in Scandianvia got a fine for speeding
or the like in his Lambo(?) and it was many thousands of dollars.  Anybody have
a pointer to this story to fill in the blanks of my Swiss-cheese memory?

--
Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul Minnesota  USA
1962 Triumph TR4 CT2846L, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1993 Suburban,

===     http://www.vtr.org