[TR] TR3 Rattled and unRandalled

To: "list Triumph" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] TR3 Rattled and unRandalled
From: "Paul Dorsey" <dorpaul@negia.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 19:48:21 -0400
List,
Randall has been a great help with my electrical questions.  However, he was
unsure of the following questions:
  "Now continuing on with the wiring of my harness at the regulator:
  The regulator's terminal on the end gets a small black wire, that's
understood.  But several inches further away on the cable emerges another
black wire, this time with a round-eyelet for the brass little endpiece.
What's that for?
Randall thought it goes under one of the screws that holds the fuse box to the
bulkhead.  But I'm not sure offhand, and I don't have a late car to check, so
maybe you'd better ask the list.  The fuse box maybe specially configured for
it.
   The main question deals with the 3 brown wires that emerge from the harness
near the fuse block.  One with a 1/4" Lucar connector emerges at the regulator
for fuse A1 (I think).  However, four inches down the cable emerges two more,
suprisingly with both having Lucar 3/8" connectors!  While that's fine for the
short piece which goes to the starter solenoid (and which requires a 3/8"
female) it seems fishy because the other one has to s-t-r-e-t-c-h b-a-c-k to
reach A1 fuse which has only 1/4" males.  I can slide the 3/8 female over the
1/4 male ok, but something seems says this is not right???

    I believe all male connectors on the stock TR3 fuse block are 1/4" males.
I don't have an ohmmeter, but only a Radio Shack Multi-meter which shows
connectivity.  I also know that the brown wire to the starter solenoid comes
from the same terminal on the solenoid as the battery and isn't the one I am
puzzled with.  However, my question is why the brown wire (from the Ammeter)
has a 3/8" female when it is suppose to connect to the block's 1/4" male?  Is
this another late wiring change not shown in the books?

  Thanks, Paul Dorsey
  60 TR3A  (TS71318L)

===     http://www.vtr.org