[TR] Engine Rebuild-Cylinder Liners

To: tr3driver@ca.rr.com, DLylis@aol.com
Subject: [TR] Engine Rebuild-Cylinder Liners
From: N197TR4@cs.com
Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 18:00:05 EDT
Dave,

Uncle Jack & I have been having them bored for about 17 years with good
success. It seems apparent that the OEM liners are superior in metallurgy.

More recently, I worked with a former John Deere employee who has a
performance racing engine shop. We came up with operations that simulate much
of what
we did with the John Deere cylinder liners (without the automation).

Several TR3/4 race cars now use these remanufactured liners. A few street
cars, also.

I have been sending folks directly to J & L Performance Engines with NFI on
my part. This keeps the price low and affordable, even with shipping.

If anyone become serious about doing this, I will try to help facilitate the
process.

(Just as a sidebar, I just installed Chevrolet Con Rods in my TR4 race car.
Carrillo Performance at Chevy Prices.   :-)

Joe Alexander
A. R. E.

Hi David :

Personally, I have always just replaced the liners if the old ones needed to
be bored.  Boring liners is an unusual operation; most machine shops don't
have the equipment or the know-how; and I would rather not serve as guinea pig
while they learn.

However, there are places around that do bore them, and apparently with good
success.  I believe Joe Alexander (ARE) posted that he had developed a jig to
do them and was offering the service, so you might check with him.

Having the engine apart is the surest way to identify the problem ... if it's
piston slap, then the damage to the piston and/or cylinder wall will be
obvious.  On my engine with the noise, I had put it together knowing there was
major damage to the wall in #3 ... you could see the taper easily with the
naked
eye ... but couldn't afford a proper rebuild at the time and so resolved to
just keep driving it until it quit.  It never did quit, even tho I put some
serious mileage on it; and as it happened I sold that engine (as non-running)
without ever having the pistons out again.  Funny part was, it never burned
much
oil either, only used maybe 1 quart per 1000 (which was mostly leaks, IMO).

Randall

   </HTML>

===     http://www.vtr.org