RE: [TR] tr3-a wiring harness

To: <L1J1S@aol.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] tr3-a wiring harness
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 10:23:45 -0700
> any clues are how i  can finnish the wiring for the front
> directionals lights?

Larry, it might help if you would tell us the colors you have.

In any case, most of the wires on my TR3A are either the wrong color or the
color codes are no longer visible.  So I always just figure them out each
time.

For the harness side, first locate the wire from the turn flasher (GN on the
diagram).  It will have power whenever the key is on, even with the turn
switch off (or not connected yet).  It probably won't flash with just your
(unpowered) test light on it, that's OK.  Connect it to the feed wire to the
turn signal switch (which the diagram shows as green, but is something like
light green with red on my car).  If your car is LHS, it will have to go
through one of the wires that crosses over the front of the car (through the
harness).  The factory schematics are always shown in RHS configuration; but
the 4 connections between the main harness and the subharness that runs to
the control head are the only things that change for LHS.

If you don't know which connections are which for the subharness to the
control head :
1) Find the heavy wire, it's the brown/black for the horns.
2) Turn the switch to the LH turn position, then use an ohmmeter or powered
test light to check for continuity between the 3 remaining wires.  The wire
that does not show continuity to another wire is the GW for the RH turn
signals.
3) Turn the switch to the RH turn position, check for continuity again.  The
wire with no continuity is the GR for the LH turn signals.  And the
remaining wire is the green (according to the schematic) that goes to the
flasher.

That should get you much closer, write again if you get stuck again.
Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org