RE: [TR] TR3 restrictor valve

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR3 restrictor valve
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 07:54:02 -0700
> What's the common wisdom on what to do with TR's with a brake
> restrictor valve that no longer works? I've tried to repair
> this one, to no avail. Moss says not available.
>
> Leave it out? Leave the innards out?

I left the innards out, many years ago, and I've never regretted it.  Just
never liked the idea of having the front brakes drag all the time.  And
keeping the body means you don't have to replace the hard line to make up
the extra distance.

Of course, I'm sure you're aware of the problem that the residual pressure
valve was intended to solve, that of the brake pistons being "knocked back"
when the front spindles flex under hard cornering.  I have noticed the
effect on occasion, typically on mountain roads.  Having the brake pedal be
suddenly so low can be most disconcerting !  However, one pump is all it's
ever taken to get back "good pedal", so it hasn't been much of a problem for
me.

Wasn't it you that made uprated spindles and bearing spacer kits available,
just to solve the spindle flex problem ?  I've got a set on the shelf, just
never got around to installing them.  But they sound like a much better
solution to the problem.  (Available from TRF, P/N HP661.)

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org