RE: [TR] tapping for 12v?

To: "'list Triumph'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] tapping for 12v?
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Jun 2007 16:30:53 -0700
> I almost forgot in wiring my console; what wire/gauge may I
> 'tap' in order to get 12v power for accesories

Depends on the accessory.  If it draws a lot of current, it needs heavier
wire.

>     Typically, you can get 12v that's always hot and 12v
> that's only hot with the key switch on.  I don't know what
> I'd prefer; seems like 12v only hot with the key on might
> save the battery.

Unless of course you want to do something like charge your cell phone from
the added cigarette lighter while the key is off; or it's the "memory power"
for your CD player.

>  BTW, what does leaving the switch on do if
> you have electronic ignition?

There are some electronic ignitions that can be damaged this way.  I believe
the older Crane XR700 (formerly Piranha) suffered from this problem, where
the power transistor would overheat and shorten the life of the unit.
However, the Crane was redesigned a few years ago to shut itself down when
the engine is not running, and so avoid the problem.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org