Re: [TR] TR 3 transmission cover seal

To: "Mike Denman" <mikedenman@sbcglobal.net>
Subject: Re: [TR] TR 3 transmission cover seal
From: Bob Labuz <yellowtr@adelphia.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jun 2007 15:48:58 -0400
On Saturday 16 June 2007 03:21 pm, Mike Denman wrote:
> What is everyone using to seal the transmission cover to the floor and
> bulkhead? I spent a couple of hours last weekend getting the transmission
> cover off of out TR3. The previous owner had used silicone sealer under the
> flanges and it was a struggle to get the cover loose. I would like
> something that sealed out the water, oil, dirt, fumes etc. but was still
> easy to remove for maintenance. I noticed that TRF (part# GCS6) and Moss
> (part# 680-428) have rubber seal kits for the TR4. Do these fit the TR3?
> Our TR3 has a metal transmission cover. Any other suggestions?
> Mike Denman

Mike,

I would imagine they would work, All they are is a thin (1/4) inch thick black
foam rubber about 3/4 " inch wide.

I used the kit to install the 4 plastic cover and it sealed real good. I
attached the seal to the floor area with contact cement. The cover just sits
on the seal and the bolts compress the soft rubber.

I would think the rubber would also insulate any potential metal - metal
vibration on the 3.

If and when I ever remove the 3 transmission, I will seal it with the same
stuff.

The seal rubber is about the same consistency as the trunk seal, just flat.

Bob

===     http://www.vtr.org