RE: [TR] TR6: plugs -- hot, cold or regular

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] TR6: plugs -- hot, cold or regular
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:56:52 -0700
> Is there any indicator that says it is better to use a cold
> plug versus a hot
> one?

The "best" heat range for your engine is the one that lets the plug tip get
hot enough to burn off deposits; while not overheating; for the kind of
driving you do.

> How about after rebuilding the engine? After installing
> electronic ignition?

At least in theory, neither of those things should make a difference.
Assuming of course you didn't go to a hotter plug when the engine was worn
out, in an attempt to burn off the oil deposits quicker.

That said, I found that when running conventional plugs on my TR3A, with a
MSD6 and mostly freeway driving, I needed to go one range colder.  But the
problem went away when I switched to a "platinum" plug with a different nose
design.

Randall
(Tedious but unavoidable disclaimer follows)

CONFIDENTIALITY. This electronic mail and any files transmitted with it may
contain information proprietary to NavCom Technology, Inc., or one of its
affiliates, and are intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to
whom they are addressed, shall be maintained in confidence and not disclosed to
third parties without the written consent of the sender. If you are not the
intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering the electronic mail
to the intended recipient, be advised that you have received this electronic
mail in error and that any use, dissemination, forwarding, printing, or copying
of this electronic mail is strictly prohibited. If you have received this
electronic mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by return mail.

===     http://www.vtr.org