[TR] Scary eBay Scam

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Scary eBay Scam
From: "Bob Danielson" <75TR6@tr6.danielsonfamily.org>
Date: Thu, 14 Jun 2007 20:55:09 -0400
For those of you not on the 6-Pack mail list, this is about an eBay scam for
a real sweet TR250 that had a Buy It Now price of $4800. The pictures of the
car made it worth at least 3 times that amount. Below are snippets from 2
emails from 6-Pack listers. The first is the response the supposed seller
sent to when Oliver asked to see the car. And the second is from Lee Daniels
on how the scam was attempted before eBay pulled the auction. Basically, it
looks like it was a legitimate auction with a Reserve price but the scammer
high jacked the page and inserted a Buy It Now price that linked to
somewhere other then eBay.

Bob Danielson
1975 TR6 CF38503U
Running w/ Throttle Body Injection
http://tr6.danielsonfamily.org

>From Oliver:

Hello,

 I'm really sorry for this late reply but I've been very busy lately and
away from a computer.
 The price that I want to obtain is $4,800 (including shipping and insurance
charges), with a down payment $2,800. The price is considerably lower then
others on the market because I need to sell it really fast.
 The car has all the services done at the dealership. The vehicle was never
crashed, abused or raced. I always garaged it and serviced it, kept very
good care of it!. The vehicle is currently located in Boxford, MA but
unfortunately I am in Tucson, AZ planning to open a business here and I
don't think I can come sooner then next month. However I can arrange for the
paperworks from here and I can talk to a shipping company to deliver the
vehicle to your address.
 I think it's impossible to buy a vehicle for such a big amount without
having an inspection first. So I had a look on eBay and I saw they could
help us with this. Since the transaction worths a lot of money they've
suggested to make the deal only through eBay so that we won't have any
problems.
 If you decide to buy all the papers are ready,just needed to be signed by
you.
 If you decide not to buy for a serious reason(of course after the
inspection) then you can just ask the shipping company to send it back to my
address with no extra cost(shipping is payed in advance by me).I think this
is the fastest,safest and most fair solution we can have.
 If you are interested to purchase the vehicle please provide me the
following
information's:
-your full name
-your ebay user id
  If I receive the requested information you will be informed by eBay during
the next hours with details about your purchase.

   Thank you,
Jeffrey Ostrer

>From Lee Daniels:

I took a look at this and see that it's *REALLY* scary. Ebay may have
already removed this, but I grabbed the page and took a careful look. I made
some screen shots and have put an analysis of the scam here. Take a look:
  http://www.automate-it.com/EbayScam/Ebayscam.html

Checked by AVG.
12:50 PM

===     http://www.vtr.org