RE: [TR] Spark plug / radio static question

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Spark plug / radio static question
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 21:28:01 -0700
> First question:  do resistor plugs ever loose their
> resistance?

Never heard of it; but why not try some new plugs and see ?  If they don't
help, you can put the old ones back in and save the new ones for your next
tune-up.

> If I were to
> get one of these suppressers, would I be correct in splicing
> it in the radio power lead (or would I still be getting
> static thru the memory lead)?

I suspect it depends on the radio.  On my CD-MP3 player, the "memory" lead
is also the main power supply lead, the switched power lead from the igntion
switch controls a solid-state switch inside the unit.

Some things to try :

1) Disconnect the alternator temporarily.  If it's an original Lucas, you
can just pull the plug out (with the engine off) and then start the engine.

2) Loosen (or remove entirely) the clamp at the base of the antenna, then
reinstall it. An ohmmeter won't show a bad connection here, because it's
still grounded through the cable & radio, but a good ground at the antenna
will definitely help reduce noise (and it's a common place for corrosion to
grow over the winter).

3) Use the ohmmeter to check the resistance of each plug wire.  They should
all be roughly the same; one very high or one very low probably indicates a
wire starting to fail (which may be the cause of your noise).

HTH
Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org