[TR] Spark plug / radio static question

To: "triumphs@autox.team.net" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: [TR] Spark plug / radio static question
From: aribert <aribert@c3net.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Jun 2007 23:21:53 -0400
First question:  do resistor plugs ever loose their resistance?  THis
spring (as soon as I took the car out of storage)  have radio static
that increases with RPM.   I understand that sometimes static is a
function of bad grounds.  THis winter I replaced a burned thru head
gasket and removed and reinstalled 2 grounds.  I have ohm'ed across to
check for continuity and the grounds appear to be fine.  I removed and
reinstalled the same plugs during the head gasket replacement.  All 6
plugs function correctly as spark plugs (the plugs only have about 8,000
miles on them, NKG  BPR6ES). So, can a plug suddenly loose its ability
to shift the resistance?

I did nothing in the passenger compartment this past winter.  I have
hung a condenser (capacitor) off of the + coil terminal as I remember
seeing years ago - this reduced the static by about 2/3.  I have seen
ignition noise suppressers for sale at auto parts stores.  My radio has
2 power in leads (memory and radio operation).  If I were to get one of
these suppressers, would I be correct in splicing it in the radio power
lead (or would I still be getting static thru the memory lead)?

===     http://www.vtr.org