RE: [TR] Wheel Questions

To: <Jeff.A.Williamson@jci.com>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: [TR] Wheel Questions
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 23:06:47 -0700
>  So I'm looking for wheels that will stand the bad road
> beatings, will feel stable on the highway, but will handle
> curves in a manner just shy of autocrossing.

IMO, that lets out wire wheels (unless you're willing to do a LOT of
maintenance on them).

> So here are my questions:
> 1) Are there shops that can adjust the spokes properly, like
> maybe a motorcycle shop ? Is this a viable solution?

Expen$ive and short-term, IMO (given what you've told us of their current
condition)

> 2) Should I give up on these wheels and buy a new set, maybe
> chrome this time? ;-)

Slightly less expensive, but still a lot of money.

> 3) Should I forget about spokes and get a set of the
> Panasport knock-off wheels and wider tires?
> 4) Other options?

Steel TR wheels are still readily available and fairly cheap (but check for
runout and cracks in the web around the lug holes).  TR6 wheels will fit
(but won't take TR3 hubcaps unless you modify them).

Main reason I wrote was to point out that if you swap away from wire wheels,
you MUST replace all the wheel studs & wheel nuts.  The short studs & nuts
used with the spline adapters are NOT SAFE for use with steel or alloy
wheels.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org