[TR] Diff replacement

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Diff replacement
From: Chris Buckley <chris.buckley51@yahoo.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2007 05:19:44 +0100 (BST)
Hi Listers,
  I am replacing my TR4A diff with an ex automatic saloon 3.45:1.
  I replaced the back cover, removed from the pinion; the oversize oil seal, a
nyloc nut, plain washer and a "spline adaptor" (a ring with standard splines on
the inside and more, smaller splines on the outside).
  I then installed the new oil seal to suit the drive flange from the TR4A and
discovered (when trying to install the flange) that the length of male splines
is about 5mm less than on the old diff (the threaded portion of the pinion
sticks out the same distance as the old diff). This means that I cannot use the
plain washer as it will prevent the nyloc from reaching the end of the thread
and also the flange will protrude an extra 5mm from the front of the diff.
  It seems there are 2 possibilities:
  1. There was an extra spacer between the saloon flange and the pinion bearing
that I forgot to remove.
  2. The diff is different and I will need to machine 5mm off the bearing end
of the flange.
  Any ideas?
  TIA
  Chris