RE: [TR] Tight Steering

To: "'wbeech'" <wbeech@flash.net>, <triumphs@autox.team.net>,
Subject: RE: [TR] Tight Steering
From: "Randall" <tr3driver@ca.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Jun 2007 16:32:44 -0700
> When I drive the steering is extremely heavy, hard to turn
> and does not return to center after a turn.  There is a
> little play in the steering wheel, 3"-4"  side-to-side but I
> don't think that is related to the stiffness.  When I jack
> the front end up, the steering freely moves from
> lock-to-lock, just over two turns.  Could something be too
> tight that just shows up when the weight of the car is on the wheels??

As already suggested, Try supporting the car under the A-arms and see if it
binds then.

Although the steering is normally heavier than most cars (even those without
power steering), due to the fast steering ratio and relative inefficiency of
the "cam and peg" steering; it should still return to center after a turn.

So if the steering still doesn't bind with the suspension in it's normal
(loaded) condition; my next suggestion would be the steering box.
Unfortunately, your car is early enough that you probably have a 'solid'
steering column, which AFAIK means you have to remove the front apron in
order to get the steering box out to be rebuilt.  This very likely explains
why all the rest of the steering & front suspension has been serviced, but
not the steering box.

When I finally rebuilt my steering box after many years of just doing
everything else, I was amazed at the difference it made !

I also believe the lubricant in the box is important ... after the rebuild I
switched to full synthetic Valvoline gear oil.  The overall result was that
I could change lanes with thumb & forefinger.

BTW, this was with wide, sticky tires & TR6 rims, which have more offset
than TR3 rims.

Randall

===     http://www.vtr.org