[TR] Charging gremlins non LBC.

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: [TR] Charging gremlins non LBC.
From: "tom white" <tswhitez123@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 2006 00:56:38 +0000
Greetings Oh Omnipotent List:

I turn to you for salvation from the demons of electrical gremlins and
failed repairs.  I was driving my 1995 Thundebird down 101 this afternoon.
Outside of SLO the battery light came on.  I checked the belt and it was
fine.  I replaced the battery a month ago with a 875 CCA model.  So I pulled
into Kragens in SLO and asked for an alternator.  The clerk produced a
rebuilt one and tested it on his machine.  It failed.

So the clerk pulled another alternator for another model Ford and changed
the pulleys.  He tested it on the machine and it passed.  He assured me that
it would work even though it was for a different model and was slightly
different in the case construction where the pulley mounts.

I installed the alternator on the car.  Started the car and the battery
light was still on.  So the clerk tests the battery and says it needs
charging before the light will go off.  So we charge the battery and
reinstall it in the car.

I start the car and the battery light is still on.  So the clerk tests the
charging system.  The battery is now fully charged but the alternator is not
putting out any voltage.  I remembered, maybe erroneously, that sometimes
alternators have to be run at speed before they begin working.

So I am now in Solvang.  The battery light is still on.  I need to make
Orange County in the morning first thing.

Can a 875 CCA battery carry me for three hours of freeway driving?

Why in the world didn't the alternator work?  Could it be the different
model alternator will not work with my computer?

Any and all suggestions/answers will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks.

Best regards,
Tom